What activities can you add on to your course?
MLS offers many activities outside of class time. A monthly schedule of events and activities offers a vibrant social programme giving you the opportunity to meet other students and practise your English, including:
- Conversation Club or Chat Group every week
- A sports activity every week, usually football or volleyball
- Mid-week social activity or Bournemouth-based excursion throughout the year
- Mid-week excursion to a local place of interest in the summer months
- Regular additional activities such as bowling, climbing or cinema trips
- Regular suggestions for social activities, encouraging students to meet up
- Weekend trips are available every weekend from a local tour operator
- MLS also arranges student parties and event evenings at different times throughout the year.
- MLS welcomes new students with an introductory induction day which includes a tour of Bournemouth and a presentation with social activity.
- Student Representatives organise other student-centred activities and social opportunities
Please note additional costs may be incurred on some activities. A typical weekend excursion may cost £35.00 and entrance fees to places of interest will be extra.
Latest Monthly Activity and Excursion Guide
Click here for a PDF version of the August 2019 Activities and Excursions Guide.
Click here for a PDF version of the July 2019 Activity and Excursion Guide.
Photos of students taking part in our social activities can also be seen on our Facebook page.
Sport in Bournemouth
Sport plays a significant role in the local economy and Bournemouth Football Club (The Cherries) is now in the Premier League. There are lots of opportunities to practise sport in Bournemouth and our students get involved in many different activities including walking, climbing and running as well as cycling and team sports. Don’t forget to bring your sports kit with you!
Golf – There are over 10 golf courses within a 5 mile radius of Bournemouth. We will be pleased to arrange golf tuition or arrange a game of golf if you wish. Fees vary for golf but a good course can be found for as little as £15.00 per round.
Watersports – Poole Harbour offers one of the world’s finest locations for watersports, including windsurfing, paddle boarding, yachting and sea fishing. You can also go surfing off Bournemouth beach.
The area has superb sporting facilities including tennis, swimming, water-skiing, jet skiing, horse riding, golf, sailing, dry-slope skiing, bowling, football, squash and athletics. Bournemouth has an international events and conference centre and a number of leisure centres – all available for use by overseas students. We can also help you with advice on weekend excursions.
Help and Advice
Our reception and social staff are happy to advise students on all of the above activities and more. They invite suggestions and will support student initiatives and ideas for the social programme.
Student Feedback on MLS Activities
“One of the things I liked was that you have many activities after class which, in my opinion, give a good chance to improve your English and make new friends. I will never forget this experience!” Martin, Spain
“The social programme is great! The college organises a lot of activities for students and I realty enjoyed them.” Joienya,France
“We have a really varied social programme. We can join in with activities almost every day. MLS students are really friendly and they often want to go somewhere together. Therefore, I gained a lot of friends from other countries.” Gizem,Turkey
The social programme is very organised and full of activities.” Elena, Italy
“I joined in with different activities. It was very exciting and useful to improve my English.” Viktoriia, Russia
“I met many new people and also friends with the help of the college activities (boat party!!).” Jan, Czech Republic