Who are these courses designed for?
The MLS General English language courses are open to adult students from all over the world who have a need for, and interest in, developing their general language skills in English, regardless of their level of English. They are for students who want to study in a mature environment (the average age in 2016 was 29), and who fully appreciate that learning English in an English-speaking country is without doubt the fastest and most effective way to learn English.
The MLS Exam Preparation courses are designed for students who are specifically seeking preparation for a particular exam, or who feel they will benefit from an exam focused syllabus. MLS is able to offer different kinds of English Language Examination courses to suit your individual needs.
There are many examinations available, so it is important that you find the right exam for you. MLS offers an examination counselling service to help you decide which exam is right for your level and which qualification will be the most useful to you. Our experienced Examinations Officer will meet with you on a one-to-one basis to help you make the right decisions and to guide you through the whole application process.
- to equip you with the English language you need in order to perform confidently in any real life environment
- to equip you with the general language skills you need in order to communicate effectively in both the spoken and written language
- to build on and develop your existing grammar, vocabulary and orthography
- to improve your language skills so that the right balance of accuracy and fluency can be achieved
- to equip you with the English language you need in order to perform confidently within the relevant Cambridge English exam
MLS Accredited English Language Exam Centre
MLS is a long-established and officially recognised examination preparation centre.
We can enrol you for the following exams at a convenient centre:
- Cambridge English: Key KET (Key English Test)
- Cambridge English: Preliminary PET (Preliminary English Test)
- Cambridge English: First FCE (First Certificate)
- Cambridge English: Advanced CAE (Advanced Certificate)
- Cambridge BULATS (Business Language Testing Service)
- Cambridge English: Business BEC (Business English Certificate)
- TOLES (International Legal English Certificate)
- EALTS (English for Aviation Language Testing System)
Whatever course you are studying, there is an internally recognised external exam you can take to demonstrate your level of English and supplement your end-of-course certificate and report from MLS. Studying for an external exam will also ensure that you have a target outcome for your training, which can have a positive influence on your progress.
The MLS Library also has a good range of exam preparation and practice material that will help you prepare for your exam. There is always an experienced teacher available to advise and help you, and you can use our self-study rooms for guided exam practice.
Flexible Courses – Adapt your Course to Suit You
All MLS courses are made up from a variety of learning Elements, with each Element offering a different approach to learning English.
During your time at MLS it is possible to amend your course to better fit your specific needs (subject to your language level and class availability):
- Students can exchange Elements 1-6 at no additional cost
- Exchanging Elements 7, 8 and 9 may incur an additional cost
- All course changes will incur an additional course materials fee
This enables us to offer you a quality learning experience that suits your individual needs.
For more information on each of the Elements, see the Elements of Study page.
- Element 1 – improve your grammar and vocabulary
- Element 2 – develop your reading and writing skills
- Element 3 – improve your listening, speaking and pronunciation
- Element 4 – prepare to take examinations
- Element 5 – develop English language for business
- Element 6 – practice business English communication skills
- Element 7 – study business-related topics in English
- Element 8 – learn English for Aviation
- Element 9 – bespoke one-to-one or closed group training