General Enrolment Information
Start Date: Most language courses are available to start on any Monday excluding UK public holidays and over the Christmas period. We do have term start dates four times per year and these dates act as a preferred entry point, when you will join a new class from the start. Students joining at other dates will be placed in a pre-existing group at the most appropriate level. Some courses have fixed start dates and are typically run as closed groups throughout their duration. Please see our Fees page for further information.
Entry Requirements: Please note there may be restrictions on language level for those seeking to study in the UK under a student visa. These levels are expressed in terms of the CEFR. MLS may vary its admission policy from time to time. Please contact us for further up-to-date information.
Course Duration: For General English language MLS recommends a minimum of 2 weeks study. Please see Language Levels and Estimated Progress Rates for details of the expected duration of study recommended to achieve specific language levels. Some courses have fixed durations. Progression from one level of learning to the next is typically expected to take 12 weeks of intensive English (30 lessons).
Lesson Duration: All lessons are of 45 minutes duration. An academic hour is composed of 45 minutes taught tuition and 15 minutes of guided learning through student reflection or research.
Minimum Age: 18 years (however, MLS may accept 16 and 17 year old students at its discretion).
Included in the Course, Enrolment and Course Materials Fees:
- Use of the Self-Study rooms with teacher guidance
- Use of the Library
- Use of the MLS Internet Room and WiFi
- All course materials and books
- MLS welcome pack including Student Handbook and local map
- Academic counselling for further language study or university study
- Initial placement test
- Monthly progress test in Element 2 (possibly not in July/August) and a Business English test twice per term
- MLS student identity card. Students are also advised to apply for an international student identity card (ISIC) which is a nationally recognised form of identification
- For executive one-to-one programmes with a minimum 20 lessons one-to-one sold at full price only – a BULATS test can be included on request at no additional cost and subject to time availability
- Access to the MLS Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) for the course duration
Not Included in the Course Fees:
All other items including accommodation, exam fees, transfers to/from Bournemouth, local travel, local expenses and some activities on the MLS social programme.
All courses are booked under the MLS standard Terms and Conditions, amended from time to time and as available on request.