MLS Homestays – The best way to improve your English outside the college and to learn about UK culture
Most students choose to stay with an English family (homestay) and this is recommended as the best way to improve your English outside the classroom and learn about culture in the UK. MLS takes great care in selecting homestay accommodation on behalf of its students.
All homestays are different and this reflects the wonderful mix of society in the UK. Houses and rooms come in different shapes and sizes, and hosts themselves may be families, singles, couples, young or elderly – the variety is exciting!
MLS is located in the centre of town, just a short walk from the main bus stops. The majority of homestays require a bus journey of between 10 and 30 minutes with a maximum journey time of 45 minutes in normal traffic. It is the experience of living with a host in the UK that we feel is most fundamental and we ask that you work hard at integrating into your homestay. Although there are many differences, we ensure minimum standards and all students booking homestay accommodation should expect to receive the following, in line with British Council requirements:
- Dinner and breakfast from Monday to Friday. Dinner, lunch and breakfast at the weekends. Where a student will be away from the home at weekends (for example on college excursions) the host should offer a packed lunch.
- Single room accommodation, other than where alternative arrangements have been requested by the student (eg twin-room).
- A clean and comfortable bedroom.
- Access to a study desk, either in the bedroom or in the homestay.
- Use of bathroom on a reasonable use basis.
- A reasonable area for storage, such as a wardrobe.
- Bed linen and towels, washed by the homestay on a weekly basis.
- To be the only student of your native language resident in the home, unless you request otherwise.
All homestays are visited by our Accommodation Officer who ensures that a high quality of service is maintained, in line with British Council requirements. Before you arrive at MLS you will receive a booklet about living with an English homestay to assist you in understanding any cultural differences. At any point during your stay with a homestay, you will be able to talk with our Accommodation Officer for advice, should you need this.
There are different types of homestay accommodation for you to choose from:
|Standard Homestay||Single room, half board*, no more than 4 students in the home.|
|Standard Twin Homestay||Twin bedded room, half board*, no more than 4 students in the home. Twin homestay can only be booked when booking with a partner or friend, or as part of a specified group.|
|Superior Homestay||Single room, half board*, private access to a bathroom, reasonable use of the internet free of charge, no more than 4 students in the home.|
|Special Requests||MLS wishes to ensure that accommodation meets a student’s individual needs as far as possible. MLS cannot guarantee that any special request can be met and you should always confirm at the time of booking if you have any specific needs. MLS will manage requests on a case-by-case basis and reserves the right to charge supplements where special requests are made.|
* half board: breakfast and dinner during the week; breakfast, lunch and dinner at the weekend.
Standard Homestay (below is a sample selection of photographs from a range of our standard homestays to give you an impression of this category of accommodation; we cannot guarantee your homestay will be one of those pictured below).
Superior Homestay (below is a sample selection of photographs from a range of our standard homestays to give you an impression of this category of accommodation; we cannot guarantee your homestay will be one of those pictured below).